Sunday, July 15, 2007

The Poor Wretch or the Good Samaritan

I heard tonight a perspective on the parable of the Good Samaritan unlike I've ever heard before. A perspective that rewrites and even demolishes the boundaries of who is and could be the Good Samaritan, the one we have so often thought of as the hero. A challenge too, that parhaps the teller of the parable meant that I should see myself not as the Good Samaritan but rather the poor wretch, lying in the ditch, beaten, robbed, and left for dead. The one in need, not the one feeling good and even needing a pat on the back for my contributions to others who have found themselves in a place of less privilege than I.
As the poor wretch I have a chance to experiece a "hand extended" from someone I would never expect to be the neighbor I need. Someone who themselves is outside that "line" made by the religious, not by God. Jesus, the Son of God time and again destroyed the "line" between female and male, poor and rich, sick and healthy, young and old, black or white, tax collector or tax payer, damned to hell or accepted by God .....and the list goes on.
Next time I see someone who needs a neighbor I pray that I'll not be like the Priest and Pharisee who, after seeing the poor wretch in need walk by, thinking that by helping someone with whom positive interaction and aid is socially and religiously "unacceptable", and even full of tension and possibly hate, someone who falls outside the boundaries and lines of what so many who call themselves Christians consider acceptable and right in the eyes of God, that I'll look beyond and see myself in the place of the poor wretch and extend my hand. May it be like Christ's, a hand of inclusion, a hand of giving more than I have to give, the love of Christ.

No comments: